verb \kə- ‘la-bə – ə -.rāt\intransitive verb
~to work jointly with others or together especially in an intellectual endeavor.
~to cooperate with an agency or instrumentality with which one is not immediately connected.
We collaborate with our clients, consultants and colleagues.
We advocate for the public, our clients, and the profession of Architecture.
We research in support of design. We believe that the best designs are discovered.
We educate our clients, the community, our profession, …and ourselves.
We make sustainability an integral a part of our practice.
School Facilities Program Specialist
Monica’s expertise includes working with all state agencies that we interact with for California Public School Facilities. She is our DSA specialist, ensuring that all project “paperwork” requirements are met. Monica is in charge of ensuring that all initiating documentation is properly provided to DSA and during construction. She facilitates FCD and change order submittals and finally, she ensures that every project that Bartos Architecture works on is ultimately closed out with certification by DSA.
Monica has processed millions of dollars of Modernization eligibility applications as well as subsequent funding applications. She also leads up our CTEFP funding process ensuring that all project requirements are met.
She works directly with our school districts client staff regarding procurement issues, CTEFP, Deferred Maintenance, Procurement (bid advertisements / bid walks), and overall project accounting issues.
Firm Management/Project Managment
Monica works directly with Mark Bartos in managing the firm. She provides project management on various small projects and assists as a Project Manager on our larger school facilities projects.
• Project Manager, School Facilities Program Specialist and Office Manager, Bartos Architecture, Inc. since 2010. See above for expanded description of Monica’s experience and expertise at Bartos Architecture.
• 2006 – 20I0: Project Developer, Calvin Design | Montecito, California
A local architectural design firm serving single family residential projects.
• 2006 – 2009: Project Developer, Sherry & Associates | Santa Barbara, California
A local architectural firm serving residential and commercial projects.
• Master’s Degree in Urban Studies, El Colégio de México, México | 2003
• Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Universidad Centroamericana José Simón Cañas, El Salvador | 2000
• Heinrich Böll Foundation, El Salvador
2001 – 2003
• Architecta in El Salvador: currently pursing Licensure in California
• Former member of the Board of Directors of the AIA San Mateo County (AIASMC)
• Monica leads up our Central American school partnership/donation program with elementary schools in Guatemala and